This post contains affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here.
Can I Wear Underwear Out Of The Package? The question today is if underwear can be worn from the packet/package without washing it. In my opinion, it is a big NO.
People’s opinions concerning this matter may differ but I will give reasons for my opinion. Some of the reasons why you should wash new underwear include: to get rid of the chemicals used in manufacturing it, to wash off the left by other customers, and removing stains, amongst others.
Underwear is clothes worn under other clothes, often next to the skin. They keep outer clothes from being made dirty by sweat. Items of underwear commonly worn by women today include brassieres (bras) and panties (also known as knickers), while men wear briefs, trunks, boxer shorts, or boxer briefs.
- 1 Reasons why you should wash new underwear out of the package before wearing them
- 2 Washing underwear helps to remove leftovers by other people
- 3 Steps In Washing A New Underwear
- 4 Reasons Why People Wear Underwear From The Package
- 5 How Long Can You Wear Underwear Before Washing Them
- 6 How Often Should You Change Your Underwear
- 7 Is It Healthy To Go Commando?
- 7.1 It reduces the risk of having yeast infections
- 7.2 It also helps to reduce odors and distress
- 7.3 In males, it helps to prevent jock itch as well as other fungal infections
- 7.4 Also for males, brings to the barest minimum the chances of irritation and injury
- 7.5 In females, it aids in protecting the v from injury
- 8 Can I Wear Underwear Out Of The Package – Conclusion
Reasons why you should wash new underwear out of the package before wearing them
To remove the chemicals used in the manufacturing of underwear.
During the manufacturing of underwear, many chemicals such as formaldehyde are used to set the color of the dyes and also preserve the underwear, and pesticides to prevent fungi from growing on them.
When these chemicals come in direct contact with the body, they can irritations and allergic reactions like rashes to the skin.
One sure way of avoiding this is by the use of a simple method, which is washing before use. This is useful for people with very sensitive skins.
Some Of The Fibers Used In Manufacturing the Underwear Are Sprayed with Chemicals
There are organic and non-organic fibers. Oftentimes, the non-organic fibers are sprayed with toxic pesticides before they’re harvested.
After the manufacturing of the underwear, there is a possibility that the residue of the toxic chemicals is still present on the underwear. To avoid any skin reaction of any kind, you must wash it thoroughly before use.
Washing underwear helps to remove leftovers by other people
The fact that a lot of people have handled the underwear during the manufacturing process is enough reason for you to wash it before wearing it.
Also, some people try underwear on, and the course of doing this leaves behind dirt, body secretions, germs like staphylococcus, and stomach flu (norovirus), these germs can live on cotton materials for a long period. So, to avoid coming in contact with these germs it is better you wash them properly after purchasing them.
- 3 Best Underwear For Ranger School In 2022
- Why Are Gussets Open At One End?
- Can You Wear Socks In The Pool?
- What Do Dancers Wear Under Leotards?
- Do Ballet Dancers Wear Bras? (Bras Ballerinas Can Wear Reviewed)
Steps In Washing A New Underwear
The following are the steps you can take when washing new underwear.
- Make sure you do not mix the new underwear with your other clothes before washing it. This will help to avoid the transfer of germs from clothes to clothes.
- I prefer to wash new underwear with my hands so that I can scrub them properly. Soak the underwear in a bucket or sink basin containing detergent and lukewarm water. You can as well add bleach if the underwears are white.
- After soaking it for 30 minutes, swish the underwear thoroughly. This will help loosen the dirt and germs on the underwear.
- When you’re satisfied with the cleanliness of the underwear, rinse it will properly with fresh clean water to remove the residue of the detergent on the underwear.
- Carefully squeeze the underwear, and hang it to dry. You can put the underwear where the sun can touch it. The heat from the sun can help destroy any germ that is on the underwear.
Reasons Why People Wear Underwear From The Package
Some people wear underwear from the package because of the following reasons
- A great population of individuals all over the world are under the impression that underwears in freshly sealed packages are clean, hence there is no need for washing.
- People have various smells that are soothing and it varies from individual to individual. One of such smells, as funny as it sounds is the smell of new clothes, undergarments inclusive. For this reason, some people prefer to wear underwear straight from the package.
- Some individuals are just too lazy to wash the newly bought underwear, so they just wear them out since they are new.
- People love the feeling of new clothing items on them. It makes most of them feel good and pretty. They feel that washing the underwear before wearing it removes the newness of the underwear.
How Long Can You Wear Underwear Before Washing Them
Under normal and ideal circumstances, underwear and socks should be washed after each use. Brasseries can be worn bout 2 or 3 times before they are put forward for washing, however, it is imperative to ensure they are aired regularly to prevent smells.
Also, give the bra a day of rest so that it can regain its elasticity. Other undergarments like camisole, tank tops, and pants should be washed and dried after use each time. Washing regularly will even help to prolong the shelf life of the underwear.
How Often Should You Change Your Underwear
There is a rule called the “rule of thumb” it states that underwear should be changed every six to twelve months, but after much research, I came across an article written by a professor of Microbiology and pathology.
He said, as far as you wash the underwear properly after each use, there is no germ-related reason to throw away old underwear after some arbitrary period.
Underwears are not like toothbrushes that you must change after every three months. It is okay if you want to change your underwear probably because it is torn and it has seen life, but if it isn’t, you can wear it for as long as you like, understandably so since money isn’t so easy to come by these days.
Is It Healthy To Go Commando?
To go commando means to stay without wearing any form of underwear. About 3-7% of men go commando for their comfort.
Yes, it is healthy to stay without wearing underwear because of the following reasons.
It reduces the risk of having yeast infections
Candida (the bacteria that causes yeast infection) grows in moist and warm environments. Underwears that are made with breathable materials (cotton) can easily conserve moisture thereby, helping the yeast to grow. It is better to wear underwears that are made from loose-fitting materials.
It also helps to reduce odors and distress
Sweat and heat can cause the privy area to smell. Going commando helps to allow the sweat to evaporate thereby reducing the smell.
In males, it helps to prevent jock itch as well as other fungal infections
It should be common medical knowledge for the public to know that war, wet privy are a breeding ground for fungi like tinea cruris, or jock itch as mentioned earlier. This could result in redness, irritation, and itching in one’s privy parts.
Also for males, brings to the barest minimum the chances of irritation and injury
Whether you wear underwear or not, it is very possible to experience chaffing of the balls against your clothing.
This can result in irritation and in a worst-case scenario, injury, which if occurring frequently is untreated can invariably lead to infection. Putting on loose, comfortable pair of jeans or shorts without putting on underwear can aid reduce chaffing to one’s parts.
In females, it aids in protecting the v from injury
The lip located outside the privy part are composed of delicate tissue, quite similar to those of the lip. Tight underwear made of synthetic fabrics can cause chafe and irritate the lip as well as the skin around it.
This can cause damage to the skin and expose the lady to injury, bleeding, or even infection. And in addition, it just hurts.
Losing the underwear especially if what is being worn itself is loose-fitting can reduce, or even completely eradicate the chances of chafing or damage.
Going commando does not always take care of all privy problems. There are certain things one must do to avoid having any privy irritation and allergies. This include
- Avoid wearing tight clothing when going commando. This will help the privy parts of the body to get proper ventilation.
- Wash your underwear frequently and properly.
- Do not try on new clothes when you’re going commando because of the bacteria and germs on them. This will help prevent the risk of having an infection.
- Lastly, going commando is your choice. If you don’t want to do it, it is fine. It is your life and your underwear. Feel free to do whatever makes you comfortable.
Can I Wear Underwear Out Of The Package – Conclusion
The choice of wearing underwear from the packet is left entirely to the individual. But it should be at the back of our minds that the benefits of washing before use far outweighs that of not washing them.
We are meant to not only wash our underwear when we just bought them but also do so as often as possible. There exists another subset of people who do not believe in underwear, they prefer to go commando.
As mentioned earlier it is all a matter of personal preference and choice, so long as those choices do not negatively affect the next individual.